Like This Content? Bookmark and Share it!

Saturday, July 19, 2008

To Blog or Not to Blog - That is the Question

Photo © Chance Agrella
Over in one particular writer's blog I enjoy, the debate has been raging on as to whether writers should censor themselves on personal blogs or not. The reason being that so many 'employers' now troll the internet to check up on potential or current employees.

I have always been of the mindset that what people do in their off-time is their business. This goes both ways - employees and employers. I do agree that professional ethics do need to be considered in business settings. If someone repeatedly shows up to work hung over and it affects their ability to work, then their off-time behavior does become company business. However, if a school teacher wants to post a picture of herself in a bikini on MySpace, that is her business. Unless, of course, she called in sick to go on a national show and had the picture done there - that makes it the school's business.

Though I do find myself censoring my posts to a degree so I don't come across as harping on the same thing over and over or so that it is clear I am making a point, other than that, I freely blog about whatever I feel like blogging about. This is my creative outlet and my expression of my personal thoughts and views that does not show up in my professional writing, unless asked to include it.

If a potential employer doesn't like that I am LDS, a single mom, or love animals - they are free to hire someone else - despite their prejudice. I would rather not work for someone who is prejudiced against me as I prefer to work in a harmonious setting. Prejudice is not conducive to such a setting.

That being said, I have never had a prospective employer tell me that I either got or didn't get a job because of anything I had blogged about in my personal blogs. My professional writing has gotten me gigs, but I can't say my personal blogs have done anything other than give me an outlet, and get my readers free stuff.

When it comes to personal blogging, what are YOUR thoughts and experiences?

No comments:

Copyright © 2008 - 2011 Daniella Nicole. All rights reserved.