Like This Content? Bookmark and Share it!

Monday, March 24, 2008

Sustainable Living, Eating Local Foods, and Co-Ops - New Trends or Wave of the Future?

I have a friend who is part of a produce co-op each year. The basic concept is that everyone produces things, then gets to exchange what they contribute for other things they need. Its a great way for people to use a little bit of garden space, but get a big variety of produce.

The new place I moved into came with a small composter. I have always wanted to try composting, and I love gardening (though I truly have no clue what I am doing!) As I was looking up composting and gardening tips online, I came across this great video show on YouTube from Patti Moreno, 'The Garden Girl' who now also has a segment on Farmer's Almanac TV.  Her focus is on sustainable living. She has some great ideas, tips, and easy to do  projects that can be applied in the smallest or largest of spaces.

Then, there is the trend (which she also mentioned in an interview she did on tv) of 'eating locally'. Individuals and restaurants are moving towards buying foods grown/produced within 100 miles of their location. This helps cut down on fuel usage and costs, and it also helps celebrate and embrace the amazing variety of foods that can be and are local. Many new recipes and types of local produce are coming out of this movement.

So, what do YOU think of the trend of going back to more simple things and more natural things? Do YOU think it can last, or do YOU think it will fizzle out?

MORE INFO:

YouTube Video Clips from Garden Girl TV

Brief info about how my friend's produce co-op works

Article about the eating local movement

Garden Girl Interview:

No comments:

Copyright © 2008 - 2011 Daniella Nicole. All rights reserved.